Quantity must be a number.
Success! Quantity updated.
DO'S AND DONT'S OF USING UNTREATED GREY WATER
If you want to reduce your water consumption then you’ve most likely been researching or already have installed a grey-water system. Before you go ahead and re-route all your plumbing, here are few things to take note of:
- Use untreated grey water piped from the kitchen sink or dishwasher. Both use chemicals that are toxic to plants and some even have long-term effects on certain plants.
- Allow untreated grey water to sit in a container or silo for long. It needs to keep moving or it can stagnate and turn toxic from bacterial growth.
- Allow access to the untreated grey water for pets and children – untreated grey water is safe for plants, but not for consumption.
- Let untreated grey water pool in the garden. Untreated grey water should never flood the garden as the bacteria in the water will clog the soil and prevent drainage. Irrigate properly so it disperses and drains into the soil quickly.
- Use biodegradable shampoos, conditioners, detergents and soaps. This will lessen the likelihood of bacteria and toxin buildup.
- Catch the “warm up” water from the shower. This is the highest quality grey water as it is soap free.
- Spray grey water with a low pressure hose or sprinkler.
- Use the grey water as soon as possible so it doesn’t sit and stagnate.
- Post signage notifying the public of your use of grey water.
Click below to download the legally required COCT Non-Potable Water In Use sign for public posting.
Contact AFRISOUL to schedule a site visit